Thursday, February 21, 2013

Our Companion to the Road of Life

     At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited Heaven or Hell when I die. He was out there sort of like a president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I really didn't know Him,(I know of Him). Later on, though, when I met Christ, it seemed as though life was like a bicycle ride. It was a "tandem" bike and I noticed that Christ was in the back helping me pedal. I don't know just when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has not been the same since we did.

    When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points, but when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains and through rocky places going at breakneck speeds. It was all I could do to hang on!

    Even though it looked like madness, He kept saying, "Just Pedal!" I worried and was anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer. It was then that I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure and when I'd say, "I'm scared," He'd lean back and touch my hand. With Him I've met people and gained knowledge of love, peace, acceptance, and joy - gifts to take to my journey - my Lord's and mine. And then, we were off again.

    He said, "Give your gifts away. They're extra baggage, too much weight." And so I did. To the people we met along the way, I tried to give love, peace, acceptance and joy, and I found that in giving I also received, and still our burden is light.

   I did not trust Him at first, being in control of my life. I thought He would wreck it; but He knows bike secrets. He knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners. He knows how to jump to clear high rocks; He knows how to fly to shorten scary passages, and I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest of places. I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful and constant companion, Jesus Christ.

   And just when I'm sure I can't go any further, He smiles at me and says ---"Just pedal!"

-anonymous


my drawer
(I was "again" cleaning up my desk and I thought all was clear until I lifted up the little side desk's mini compartment and found this paper folded in two. Just as I was thinking of life's journey and the threshold... I wish I can give credit to the one who shared this beautiful depiction of life's journey with me but I can't recall who was it).


2 comments:

  1. We give this to the Participants at the Life in the Spirit Seminar. It is to encourage them to
    "let go, and Let God". A scary action to perform by some, but needed in order to get closer to Him. Jesus I trust in You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ethelyn for visiting my blog. It is so true, giving away our control is a scary thing to do yet it is freeing. God Bless!

      Delete